Monday 15 May 2017

DBlogWeek - Diabetes and the Unexpected

Today marks the beginning of the eighth annual Diabetes Blog Week, organised by the lovely Karen at Bitter~Sweet where us bloggers (or part-timers like moi) get the chance to post about a set topic each day for five days. It's a great opportunity to 'meet' new people from across the globe and read the different interpretations of the topic.

"Diabetes can sometimes seem to play by a rulebook that makes no sense, tossing out unexpected challenges at random.  What are your best tips for being prepared when the unexpected happens?  Or, take this topic another way and tell us about some good things diabetes has brought into your, or your loved one’s, life that you never could have expected?"

I've taken inspiration from a recent Diabetes UK campaign called #TheOne so here we go....

It's a Saturday night, I've had a lovely meal/takeaway with my hubby and have had a pretty good day with my Diabetes. I've had a drink or two with my meal and am feeling a little flirty so decide to head on upstairs to buff, polish and pamper until I'm feeling like Sasha Fierce (only a lot more self conscious and awkward....). Some nice music goes on to set the mood and hubby comes upstairs wondering what on earth I'm up to. Eyebrows go up and the penny drops! 

He is fantastic with my Diabetes and always asks if I've tested before things get too carried away, however on this occasion I say "I'm fine, don't worry about it". I romantically swig a little Lucozade to stop the frowning expression on his face, unclip my pump and we move on. 

Big mistake!

Within a few minutes my arms start tingling and my hands start shaking and all I have in my head is 'F-ck!!!!! Not now!!!'. For some bizarre reason I thought that it would pass so tried to ignore the hypo symptoms, which obviously didn't work. Hubby picks up on the fact that something was wrong, the brakes go on fairly sharpish and I relent and grab my testing kit. Surprise surprise it's a 3.3 hypo which I've now made worse.... 

For me the worst thing was that my husband apologised to me. My stupidity and stubbornness to not let Diabetes affect the most intimate part of my life had made my husband feel guilty and almost responsible for my hypo.

Needless to say, now I test beforehand every single time. Even if it means that it's a no-go. I don't want Diabetes spoiling my fun, but I understand that my choices can have an affect on my loved ones so being responsible is important.




It's not too late to signup to Diabetes Blog Week, if you want to find out more and join in or just simply want to read posts by other participants then click here

11 comments:

mum of type 1 said...

You made me giggle with your description! Go girl!

Ramblings said...

Yes to this!! So true and so honest!! Loved it x

Type1bri.com said...

Great honest blog, kudos to you for this one :)

Kelley said...

Love your story-so real! And yes, definitely don't want diabetes ruining the fun!

Yoga for Diabetes said...

great and sweet post and good tip!

Anonymous said...

This is definitely not a topic that is much blogged about but I'm sure is something people would like to figure out how to deal with. Very tastefully done. Thank you.

Karen said...

Oooh, saucy!! But I do have to point out, while I agree that your husband shouldn't feel guilty, I disagree about your stupidity and stubbornness. Neither of you is to blame - it's just diabetes being stupid and stubborn. So don't blame yourself!!

Meri said...

It's great to meet you! Thanks for sharing your story. This is why blogging is so important! <3

The Long Point Girl said...

I live with type 2. I had no idea of the impact type 1 could have on this part of your life. Ugh. Not fair!

Kerri. said...

Been. There. x

Grainne Flynn said...

Thank you for being so open. It really is a mood killer:-( thankfully it sounds like we both landed some good hubby. I seem to always hit the snooze button on my CGM 's low alarm too. What are we like?!?

Post a Comment